10th J-PAS Collaboration Meeting
9-13 March, 2015 / Paraty, Brazil
10th JPAS Collaboration Meeting
We invite all J-PAS members to the 10th J-PAS Collaboration Meeting. It will be held in the scenic city of Paraty in the state of Rio de Janeiro. Our venue will be Pousada Villas de Paraty, which is located 10-minutes walking from the historic city center of Paraty.
There will be buses both from Rio de Janeiro and from São Paulo (Paraty is roughly 4,5h from Rio de Janeiro and 5,5h from São Paulo) taking people to Paraty and back. Please check the Transportation and Travel Info section for more details.
NOTE: If you plan to travel to Paraty using our bus please make your travelling arrangements in order to arrive to the meeting point well in time for this:
- The bus from Rio de Janeiro to Paraty will leave from Hotel Astoria Copacabana (Rua República do Peru, nr 345) in Copacabana on Sunday 8th March at 12pm and then go to Observatório Nacional (Rua General José Cristino, nr 77, Bairro de São Cristóvão) leaving ON at 2pm. The bus will return to Rio de Janeiro on Friday 13th March, leaving Paraty at 2pm.
- The bus from São Paulo to Paraty will leave from Butanta metro station on Sunday 8th March at 10am and then go the international airport of Guarulhos (GRU) at 12am. The bus will return to São Paulo on Friday 13th March, leaving Paraty at 2pm. Please check the following link.
There are two social events planned during the week (More info in the Social Events Section):
- Wednesday afternoon (11th March): There will be a visit to a cachaça distillery, a small waterfall and a beach in the nearby-city of Trindade (weather permitting).
- Thursday evening (12th March): There will be a social dinner in the historic city center.
Deadline for registrations
20 February, 2015
27 February, 2015
LOC: Cristina Fernandes, Maurício Calvão, Renato Dupke, Simone Daflon, Teresa Villegas, Yolanda Teja
SOC: Javier Cenarro, Narciso (Txitxo) Benitez, Renato Dupke, Yolanda Teja
Paraty is a popular tourist destination, well known for its colonial architecture buildings and its stunning surroundings with beautiful islands, coasts, waterfalls and hills. The colonial architecture of Paraty has been well preserved and it is a candidate for a UNESCO world heritage nomination. The cosy pedestrian-only streets of its historic center offer a great variety of arts&crafts shops, thriving restaurants and bars. One of the main tourism attractions of Paraty is a boat trip to the crystalline-water white-sand islands and coves close to its coast. Paraty is also well known for its many “alambiques” - the distilleries where cachaça is produced, with some renown branches being produced there.
To know more about the city, please visit:
1. Pousada Villas de Paraty
- Standard room: R$ 208* (Single) R$230* (Double)
- Balcony: R$ 241* (Single) R$268* (Double)
- Extra bed: R$100*
- Children from 5 to 10 years old: R$58*
- *breakfast included in the price
- Pousada Villas de Paraty is also our venue for the meeting and as such, we recommend booking your accommodation in this hotel as a first priority.
- To reserve your room, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning the reference to the J-PAS meeting.
- Webpage | www.villas-de-paraty.com.br
2. Other accomodation
There are many accommodation possibilities in Paraty for all price ranges. Here is a list of a few bed&breakfast that are close to the event venue:
There are two social events planned during the week:
- On wednesday afternoon there will be a small trip to a waterfall, a destillery and a beach in the close-by city of Trindade. Transportation will be either a Jeep or a van, and it is included in the price.
- Duration ~4 to 5h.
- Estimated price: R$70.
The social dinner will be held on Thursday the 12th March at Margadida Café, a restaurant in the historic center of Paraty. Dinner will be a three-course meal (you will have a meat/fish/vegetarian option for the main dish) and the price is R$ 57 + 10% without drinks, or R$ 84+10% with drinks included.
The 10th J-PAS "Preliminary meeting program" is available here (NOTICE: updated 03.11.2015 10:00).
You also have the 10th J-PAS "Detailed program" with the presentations titles here (NOTICE: updated 03.06.2015 09:30).
Please contact the organisers if there is any conflict with your personal schedule (email@example.com).
The full list of participants is included here:
|First Name||Last Name||Institution|
|Arthur Eduardo||da Mota Loureiro||IF/USP|
|Begoña||Ascaso||Observatoire de Paris|
|Carlos||Lopez San Juan||CEFCA|
|Claudia||Mendes de Oliveira||IAG - USP|
|Diego||Herranz||Instituto de Física de Cantabria|
|Iván||Oteo||University of Edinburgh / ESO|
|Laerte||Sodre||IAG - USP|
|Marcus Vinicius||Costa Duarte||IAG/USP|
|Nathalia||Cibirka||IAG - USP|
|Patricia||Martins de Novais||IAG/USP|
|Raimundo||Lopes de Oliveira||Universidade Federal de Sergipe|
|Roberto||Ortiz||EACH - USP|
|Rodrigo||Alvares de Souza||IAG-USP|
|Sandra||Benitez Herrera||IF - UFRJ|
|Tiago||Ribeiro||Universidade Federal Sergipe|
Transportation & Travel Information
Paraty is on the coast of the state of Rio de Janeiro, roughly half way between Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. São Paulo is 330km to the south-west of Paraty while Rio de Janeiro is 230km to the north-east. There will be a bus taking people from Rio de Janeiro to Paraty (~4.5hours) and another from São Paulo to Paraty (~5.5hours), and back in the end of the meeting.
The bus from Rio de Janeiro do Paraty will leave Hotel Astoria Copacabana (Rua República do Peru, nr 345) in Copacabana on Sunday 8th March at 12pm and will then go to Observatório Nacional (Rua General José Cristino, 77, Bairro de São Cristóvão), leaving ON at 2pm. The bus will return to Rio de Janeiro on Friday 13th March, leaving Paraty at 2pm.
The bus from São Paulo to Paraty will leave on Sunday 8th March at 10am from Butanta metro station and at 12am from the international airport of Guarulhos (GRU). The bus will return to São Paulo on Friday 13th March, leaving Paraty at 2pm. Please check the following link.
Please let us know whether you will be travelling to Paraty from Rio de Janeiro or from São Paulo. This is important for us to know the number of people and arrange the bus accordingly. Please drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with this information as well as your arrival and departure times.
If you would like to do your own travelling arrangements, here are some tips:
From São Paulo To Paraty
- Shortest Route (290 km): From São Paulo to São José dos Campos via Dutra (or Ayrton Senna). In São José, get on the Rodovia dos Tamoios highway to Caraguatatuba. In Caraguatatuba get on the Rio Santos highway to Paraty. São Paulo - 100 km – São José dos Campos – 80 km – Caraguatatuba – 110 km – Paraty
- Route with less Traffic (300 km): From São Paulo to Taubaté via Dutra (or Ayrton Senna). In Taubaté get on the Rodovia Oswaldo Cruz highway to Ubatuba. In Ubatuba get on the Rio Santos highway to Paraty. São Paulo – 140 km – Taubaté – 90 km – Ubatuba – 70 km – Paraty
From Rio de Janeiro to Paraty
- Best Route (210 km): From Rio de Janeiro direct to Paraty via Rio Santos highway. Rio de Janeiro – 210 km – Paraty
Bus São Paulo - Paraty
- Viação Reunidas Paulista:: (24) 371-1196 or (11) 6221-8811
São Paulo x Paraty: 08:00h, 10:00h, 12:15h, 16:00h (not available sundays), 21:30h (subject to changes)
Paraty x São Paulo: 9:40h, 13:40h, 16:40h (not available saturdays), 23:40h (subject to changes)
Bus Rio de Janeiro (Rodoviária Novo Rio)- Paraty
Viação Costa Verde:: (24) 371-1326 / (21) 233-3809 / (21) 2516-2437 (from 7h to 21h)
Rio de Janeiro x Paraty: 5:15h, 7:00h, 8:00h, 9:00h, 10:10h, 11:00h, 12:00h, 14:00h, 16:00h, 18:00h, 20:00h, 21:00h (subject to changes)
Paraty x Rio de Janeiro: 5:20h, 7:20h, 9:20h, 10:20h, 12:20h, 13:20h, 15:20h, 16:20h, 17:20h, 19:00h, 21:00h (subject to changes)